Monday, July 20, 2009

I think this is pretty funny



Wild marijuana is rampant throughout Nebraska and extends into Iowa and Missouri as well, often growing in ditches and along fences. Unless you knew what you were looking at it would be easy to miss for most people, it blends into the surrounding foliage pretty well. 

From what I understand marijuana was likely introduced when settlers would plant it along fence lines to help keep cattle in. The cattle would not eat the marijuana so the chances of them breaking through a fence were less. I have also heard that settlers planted it as hemp to make rope. Like other noxious weeds it eventually got out of control and spread everywhere.

The wild marijuana, often called "ditchweed," contains little THC and therefore you would be sick from the smoke before you ever got high. I have heard that people still come and harvest the wild pot to mix with more potent homegrown and imported weed to sort of "fill out the bag." Mostly though it's just an eyesore competing with native plants. In terms of railroad right-of-way, the plants, which can grow up to 6 feet tall, can block out signs and a view of the tracks, which can result in deadly accidents.

I think it's pretty funny that on my paperwork I can write "Target Weed Species - Marijuana." I think it's funny that marijuana plants are as prevalent as corn in Nebraska. I think it's funny people come from out of state to harvest ditchweed. Who would have ever thunk it?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

that is pretty awesome.

and yes, i'm finally getting around to reading this.

and i've NEVER smoked pot in my life. only cigs. crazy. not that i think i'm missing out, just a fact.