Sunday, August 9, 2009

Wheat Stubble and Poles


Wheat Stubble and Poles
Originally uploaded by kindoflew
About two or three times during the spray season everything comes together to bring a laid back day where I can do my favorite thing to do on the road: photography! Today was one of those days. I had intended to spray east from Dodge City, Kansas, on my way to our new location in Newton. However before I could even get started the wind picked up to the point of no spraying, so that left me with the whole day to make the drive to Newton and lots of time for photography!

The landscape of western Kansas, both natural and manmade, is fascinating to me. Vast open plains with nary a tree, hundreds of pole lines, and huge, white concrete elevators the can be seen for a good 10 miles over the landscape. I could probably spend month photographing here and not get bored. That's why it was so great to get to do a little on my way east today.

By far this was my favorite photo of the day. It's so simple, yet so interesting. The wheel tracks through the wheat stubble against darker field of milo in the background is a nice contrast as is the vertical stubble and grass with the man-made poles in the background. The smooth, light texture of the sky is also a nice contrast with the rougher texture of the field. I'm very glad I turned around to grab this photo!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i like the clouds the most. definitely.